Holding the breath underneath, I dialed the last phone number,
my last hope! And.. Guess what?? I explored the sweetest voice of Bangalore for
the very first time. LOL!
“Hello. Mr. Mentor from Solutions Infini here.”
P.S.: Mr. Mentor is my external guide in ‘Solutions Infini
Technologies’, under whose guidance I have accomplished my SIP (Summer
Internship Program) 2013.
“Hello. This is Debolina, from IBA Bangalore here.”
“Bangalore.. What??”
“Indus Business Academy, Bangalore. Sir!”
“Ohh… Okay.. Okay.. Yes..”
“Yes Sir. I saw your Company’s post yesterday in
‘Internshala’ (an online internship portal) regarding the Internship Program
2013. This call is regarding that. Is this the best time to talk to you regarding
this?”
“Yeah.. Sure.. Tell me..”
“Thanks sir! I’m a PGDM 1st year student and
presently looking for an internship program, as per my course curriculum. I
found your value proposition to be extremely mouth-watering with 360 (degree)
corporate exposures. And I’ll be glad if I can get an appointment with you in
this regard?”
“Okay.. See Debolina.. You need to first send your CV to us
at our HR email_id. If your CV satisfy and impress our requirements, we’ll
give you a call for an interview.”
“Great! Where can I get the HR email_id? As it is not being
mentioned in ‘Internshala'. Can I get your direct HR email_id please?’”
“Okay.. Sure.. Go to our website, ‘dialstreet.com’. And
there you’ll get the id details in our ‘Interns’ column.”
“Okay. And one more thing, sir. Can I specify your name in
the email and about this pre-talk too?”
“Mmm.. Okay.. You can.”
“Thank you so much sir for your time.”
“Yeah. Thank you.”
And finally I got over with my cold calling part! And now,
it was time to prepare a classy CV (Curriculum Vitae) as per the buyer’s
requirements. Now at this point, please don’t mistake me. You might think how
manipulative this approach could be. Really? If you think it’s manipulation,
what is motivation to you then? And you, being a seller, tell me the facets
which can drive your potential buyer(s) to buy you (as a product)/ your services? Confused??
Well.. There lies a
big underlying controversy in between these two terms: Manipulation vs.
Motivation. Let me share with you some relevant insights in this context.
Motivation or Manipulation?
This brings us to an ethical question, and ethics is the foundation upon which we must build a career. What is the difference between motivation and manipulation? Unfortunately these terms are often confused, but comparing motivation to manipulation is like comparing kindness to deceit. The difference lies in the intent of the person. Motivation will cause people to act out of free choice and desire while manipulation often results in forced compliance. One is ethical and long lasting, and the other is unethical and temporary.
The value you place on people determines whether you are a motivator or a manipulator of men. Motivation is moving together for a mutual advantage. Manipulation is moving together for an individual's advantage. That is a substantial difference. With the motivator, everybody wins. With the manipulator, only the manipulator wins.
So, please be sure enough of this fact deep in your mind, while making your CV for any particular job profile. It should add value to both the sides. In other words, your CV must reflect a win-win value proposition for both the ends, i.e., you, being the seller and the recruiter, being the buyer.
Try to identify and understand the needs of the recruiter properly. Go through the JD (Job Description) & JS (Job Specification) thoroughly. And try to align their needs with your relevant aspects/ offerings, in your CV. Your CV is no more than a print advertisement to your recruiter! Make it eye-catching.
Many times a CV gets rejected due to the candidate's inability to understand the job role for a particular designation. I strongly feel, this has nothing to do with our luck factor. Rather, it is our inefficiency as a salesperson to identify our buyer's needs properly and place values in CV with a win-win proposition.
Preparing a CV is an art. And one must learn how to craft this art well to fetch a job. Rest depends on the buyer's perception and his ability to assess the talent as per his own organizational requirements!
(to be continued...)

No comments:
Post a Comment